Tuesday 15 December 2015

Baking with Whitworths

If you read my blog often you will know one of my hobbies is baking. I love to cook and decorate a cake but more important I love to see peoples faces if they are really happy with a cake I have made.
I recently had a chance to attend a workshop with past Great British Bake off Winner, Edd Kimbar. Sadly I could not make it but Whitworths kindly sent me a few of their products to try out. I am planning on making the next recipe for Christmas but I wanted to share it will you as I think it sounds just right for those who do not enjoy Christmas pudding.


Christmas sticky toffee pudding by Edd Kimber

Ingredients

225g Whitworths dates 200ml water 100ml rum 75g unsalted butter 175g light brown sugar ½ tsp vanilla extract 3 tbsp honey 2 large eggs 200g self raising flour 1½ tsp baking soda 1 tsp mixed spice ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg 50g Whitworths apricots 50g Whitworths sultanas 50g Whitworths crystallised ginger, roughly chopped 50g unsalted butter (for the sauce) 100g light brown sugar (for the sauce) ¼ tsp flaked sea salt (for the sauce) 100ml double cream (for the sauce) 150g Whitworths toasted mixed nuts (for the praline) 175g caster sugar (for the praline)

How to make

Step 1
Preheat the oven to 180ºC (160ºC fan) and lightly grease 10 dariole moulds.

Step 2
For the butterscotch sauce, place the butter, sugar and salt into a medium saucepan and cook over a medium heat until melted and smooth.

Step 3
Allow to bubble away for a few minutes before adding the cream, stirring to make a smooth sauce. Set aside whilst you make the puddings.

Step 4
To make the puddings, place the dates, water and rum into a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer and cook until a thick date paste has formed. Scrape the paste into a bowl and set aside for the moment.

Step 5
Place the butter, sugar, vanilla and honey into a large bowl and use an electric mixer to beat until smooth and creamy.

Step 6
Add the eggs one at a time beating until combined before adding the next.

Step 7
In another bowl mix together the flour, baking soda and spices.

Step 8
Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and beat on a slow speed until they just combine.

Step 9
Add the date puree and the dried fruit and mix until smooth and combined.

Step 10
Divide the batter evenly between the prepared moulds and place onto a parchment lined baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until the pudding springs back to touch. Remove from the oven and turn onto plates immediately.

Step 11
To make the praline, place the sugar into a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat until the sugar has melted and caramelised, turning a deep brown.

Step 12
Add the nuts and stir together until evenly coated in the caramel.

Step 13
Tip out onto a parchment lined baking tray and use a spatula to press into a thin layer. Set aside until cool.

Step 14
Once cool break into pieces.

Step 15
Serve the puddings whilst still hot with the caramel and pieces of the praline.

As a baker I am always looking for nice tasty ingredient's for my cakes and whitworths are far more than just sugar. 
They do a huge range of all kinds of things I think you would be surprised.
I got to try 

Chopped Dates
Lovely yummy sticky dates all stoned and chopped and ready for you to use, just lightly dust with flour to stop them from sticky and to make sure you get a nice even spread in your bake. I am thinking maybe a date and walnut loaf would be fab with these.



Crystallised Ginger


This fiery chopped and ready to use ginger is great for adding a bit of crunch and fire to all kinds of bakes. I love ginger at this time of year it adds a perfect kick to a bake , my favourite would be a pear and ginger cake perfect for a cold day with a nice cup of tea.

Apricots


Yummy plump apricots all soft and ready to use. Idea for your cereal  or apricot and orange pan cakes .

 Raisins

These pump and juicy raisns which are plump and juicy . I love a nice simple fruit cake and I used these to make 6 mini cakes to use as gifts this year. The cake tasted fab and the sultanas were sweet and tasty.


Chopped Toasted Nuts

A mix of peanuts ,almonds, and walnuts lightly toasted to give them a great flavour. Be fab to add to your Christmas cake as they give a lovely added flavour and crunch.

I use whitworths all the time as I found that their products to produce lovely bakes and also other things . You can find all the information about their range and also a whole load of fab recipes to try out for your self.



Thought I would end with showing you a few cakes I have made using Whitworths products. It really is a fab range and you will love using them I am sure.






Please note I was not paid for this review only receiving a sample of the product.

1 comment :

  1. must try this range and your cakes are fab

    ReplyDelete

I am always delighted when people take time to leave me a comment...thanks so much